Friday, June 12, 2009

Apple Crisp

Many months ago, my supervisor requested apple crisp. I completely forgot until recently, when I made a list of things to bake before I leave. Looking through recipes, I realized there are two schools of thought: 1 involves those who put oats in their crisp and 1 that does not. What to do, what to do. Finally, I just asked the supervisor, because I didn't want to disappoint him. He's of the second, no-oats kind of man. Most of the recipes were really similar, so I went with this one, which is someone's grandmother's so it has to be good right? Right. Grandma's know best, especially this one.
Now, the original recipe called for granny smith apples, but I decided to go with a mix of granny smiths and jonagold. I didn't want the dish to be too tart, plus I thought the slightly different textures would create different stages of softness for the apples. I think the apple combo turned out quite well.


Apple Crisp
  • 3 lbs apples, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices (I used 4 jonagold and 4 granny smiths)
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • 1 1/2 tbsp flour
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and diced
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed

Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a large casserole dish with 1 of the 8 tbsp of butter.

In a large bowl, toss the apple slices, lemon juice, 1 1/2 tbsp flour, sugar, and cinnamon until the apples are nicely coated. Transfer to the baking dish, making sure they are nicely packed down.

In the same bowl, combine the 2/3 cup flour and brown sugar. Using a pastry knife/cutter/blender (this thing) or your hands, cut in the butter. You want to make a loose crumble (it'll look like coarse sand).

Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the top of the apples.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the sides of bubbly. Let cool for 1 hour before serving. Best served warm, and perhaps over ice cream.

This is delicious. And Amazing. A wonderful comfort food. A delicious ice cream topping. Please make it; you won't regret it.

2 comments:

Leta said...

oooh, new layout!

Very pretty.

Mama Sarah said...

Thanks! I thought it was time for a change and I LOVE how clean and simple this design is. I'm hoping to eventually craft some graphic to place behind the title, but we'll see how that goes =)