Tuesday, July 27, 2010

july 2010 Daring Baker's Challenge: Swiss Swirl Ice Cream Cake

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.


 I had a lot of fun figuring out what flavors of ice cream to use as two different flavors are hidden within the cakey exterior.  I stuck with the original swiss roll cake recipe, chocolate cake with a simple cream filling.  Add to those the layer of fudge between the two types of ice cream, I definitely starting getting a sundae vibe.  And thus I came up with caramel and marshmallow ice creams. 


Unfortunately, I had a few mishaps with this challenge.  I spread my cake batter a bit too thin, so it didn't roll too well.  Then, I didn't thicken the fudge sauce enough, so it didn't set which then kind of make things a mess.  Good thing looks don't affect taste!

No comments: