Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thanksgiving, Part III: Squash Casserole

Okay, I'll be honest: I didn't make the squash casserole for Thanksgiving this year. My sister did.  She did last year too. But, I have made it before and all of us in my family (mom, dad, sister, me) make it the same. So I'm not really cheating by posting this.

(please forgive the horrible photo: it was Thanksgiving and people were hungry)

Squash casserole
(Don't know where Mom got the recipe, and this isalmost exactly as she gave it to my sister and me)
  • 2 c. yellow squash
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • ¾ c. mayonnaise (I use a little less, about ½ cup)
  • 1 c. grated cheddar cheese
  • 10 green onions (I usually use regular onion)
  • ½ stick butter or margarine
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. pepper
  • ½ c. cracker crumbs (don’t fight over who gets to crush them)*
In a large pot, with a little water, cook the squash until it  is tender.  Drain. 

Saute onions in butter until tender.   Combine all ingredients except cracker crumbs and put in a buttered casserole dish.  Top with cracker crumbs and bake at 400 for 25 to 30 minutes.

* My mom put this note because my sister and I literally fought over who got to make the cracker crumbs.  My mom had this cool device (probably a nut chopper of sorts) that was a glass jar with a plastic funnel that screwed on top.  at the bottom of the funnel were some awesome teeth and there was a handle you would  turn to crunch up the crackers.  My sister and I would each get to crush half a pack of Ritz crackers.  Were someone to crush more than her share, chaos would ensue. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SHAME ON YOU!