Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm back

So after illness and a crazy busy week, I'm got an update. It's simple - baked eggs - and I actually made them a few days ago, but my poor little blog deserves some attention. I promise I'll be better from now on.



Hubby loves eggs - have I mentioned this before? Well he does..he LOVES them.. now I come from a family not big on eating breakfast, so my egg repertoire is embarrassingly tiny. I know nothing about poached eggs or eggs benedicte. Luckily, we got this amazing cookbook for our wedding that had an easy recipe for baked eggs. They've got a similar texture to a boiled egg, but the cooking method allows for the addition of herbs and spices.

The recipe calls for 10 oz casseroles. I just use the little 3 oz (I believe) pyrex bowls we have - also from the wedding. Grease the casserole/bowl/dish well. Crack an egg into each dish.




Season the eggs with whatever you want. I think thyme is tasty with a little salt and pepper. Hubby loves Chachere's on his eggs. You can use whatever you want; I do.



So once you've gotten them seasoned, you're going to place the casseroles into a larger baking dish, then pour an inch of hot water around the dishes. Yay water-baths. Place this in the oven (preheated to 325-350). Bake for 25 minutes; if you want to add cheese - which you do - after 20 minutes take the eggs out and sprinkle cheese on them. They should look like the eggs pictured below (before cheese).


Bake 5 more minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the yolk comes out clean..or gooey if you like gross runny yolks - hubby does.


Mmmm blurry egg. I like the taste of eggs, so I like seasonings to complement and not dominate. Hubby wants salty-spiciness. We both agree that cheese is delicious. Hubby decided to have his eggs sandwiched between 2 buttered pieces of toast. They are much better than fried eggs I think, much more thick and dense.


I ate mine as-is. So good, so good. I highly recommend using thyme with eggs.

1 comment:

Lyfling said...

Damn you . . . now I'm hungry.

And welcome back ;)