Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy 2009, y'all! The new year came in quietly for hubby and I - we were sleeping. I woke up with a migraine and sore throat, but I won't take that as an omen. 2009 will be a good year.

As with every New Year, we had the traditional black-eyed peas and cabbage. Now, I emphasize traditional because that doesn't seem to be the tradition here in Iowa. Very few people here seem to be aware of the whole eating them for health and wealth, an. d even fewer know of black-eyed peas. Unimaginable! I grew up black-eyed peas often, though cabbage not so much.

More on that cabbage. Mom always boiled it, and what kid is going to think "yum, boiled cabbage, I think I'll have some of that!" So, I never ate it until a few years, when I discovered it wasn't that bad. But, who wants to celebrate the New Year with not that bad. This year, I decided to try my hand at cabbage rolls. I looked at a bunch of recipes, then just sort of winged it.


End result? I liked it much more than I expected. Rolls are waaay better than plain ol' boiled cabbage.

I'll try to post the recipe tomorrow. I need to get to bed and sleep so I feel better for work.

Happy New Year!

No comments: