Monday, January 25, 2010

French Rabbit Stew

(I  planned to cook and post this recipe yesterday, but hubby and I were invited to a friend's house to watch the Saints game.  Neither hubby nor I are big football fans, but we figured what the hell.  We have grown up with the Saints being the losingest team around... And now, all I can say is WHO DAT! Saints going to the Superbowl? Never thought I'd see the day!)

Lately I have had the desire to try rabbit.   There is something primal about it; it seems only recently (relatively speaking of course) that we have stopped eating it and instead taken the cute little fluffies into our homes as pets.  Though, I do live in an area where people do at times eat rabbit, but it is an occasional thing.   Few restaurants have rabbit on the menu. 


A couple nights ago, hubby and I found ourselves at the grocery store trying to figure out what to eat.  As we were looking through the freezer "cajun" section, I saw rabbit.  I just had to have it and have it I did.  I at first planned to smother it all as a good Cajun would, but as I looked for some guidelines online, I came across a recipe for French Rabbit Stew.  I was lured by the glamour of the French and cast aside a Tony Chacheres gravy. 





Sadly, hubby and I weren't too impressed; nothing about this stood out.  I read that farmed rabbit is much more bland than wild so perhaps that accounts for the lackluster nature of the dish.   Whatever the reason may be, I have decided not to post the actual recipe.   I am undecided on whether I'll try rabbit again.

3 comments:

jenna said...

Hmm...I've never had rabbit, but I'd really like to try. Where did you get yours?

Mama Sarah said...

I found it in a supermarket in the Cajun section; it was shoved in there between the shrimp, crawfish, and alligator. I'm thinking I would definitely like to try wild rabbit to see how it differs from farmed.

Anonymous said...

Dad says to try it in a sauce piquante next time... but wait until I'm at home!

http://www.nola.com/food/patout/recipe.ssf?rabbit_sauce_piquant.html