Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sweet Potato Pie Muffins

One of the ladies at work and I like to talk about food.  Recently, she had me look at two different muffin recipes to get my opinion on them (her daughter eats very, very healthily and the recipes were for an attempt to make her muffins) .  We started talking about various things and the lady told me about sweet potato pancakes they make.  After a day or so, I just couldn't stop thinking about sweet potatoes and muffins.  I've been wanting to bake some sweet potato muffins for the past week, but never got around to it (i.e., I've been rather lazy).  Finally, I couldn't resist my urge to bake.  More than just bake though, I wanted to create something.  I am so hesitant to just dive head first into making something, in trusting myself to have the skill and knowledge.  I am so terrified of failure in the kitchen... and this is preposterous!  So even when I do venture out on my own, I usually scan some recipes to get general ratios (flour to sugar, wet to dry) before embarking.  But not this time, buddy!  I marched into the kitchen with just my brain to guide me.  It was a little scary but also exhilarating.  I feel I'm finally becoming an actual, honest-to-goodness baker, and damn, does it feel good.


 Was that enough exposition?  I'm not usually so verbose -- at least not lately -- but I am really proud of these muffins.  And myself.  For risking failure in an attempt to  create and succeeding.

Sweet Potato Pie Muffins
(Yields 1 1/2 dozen muffins)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 15 oz. can sweet potato puree (feel free to make your own puree)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup finely to mediumly chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup cinnamon chips
Preheat oven to 350F.  Generously oil a muffin pan.  

In a large bow, beat eggs and both sugars until light and creamy.  Mix in sweet potato puree and vanilla until well combined.

In a separate bowl, combine  flour, oats, baking powder, and salt.  Add into sweet potato mixture and mix well.  Stir in pecans and cinnamon chips.  

Spoon into prepared muffin pan, filling each cup about 2/3 of the way full.  The muffins will rise a bit.  

Bake 10-15 minutes or until the tops look firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool further. 

2 comments:

jenna said...

this looks good. come to ny and bring me some. okay.

Mama Sarah said...

Hmmmm.. I'm not sure I can; they seem pretty southern and thus are best enjoyed in the south. I guess that means you should make your way down here.