Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 2010 Daring Cooks' Challenge: Stuffed Grape Leaves

Our October 2010 hostess, Lori of Lori’s Lipsmacking Goodness, has challenged The Daring Cooks to stuff grape leaves. Lori chose a recipe from Aromas of Aleppo and a recipe from The New Book of Middle Eastern Food.

I greeted this month's challenge with mixed emotions.  I adore stuffed grape leaves (which I have always known as dolmades) , but hubby hates them.  So while I was excited that I'd get to try making something so neat and tasty, I knew it would be a waste of energy to even consider hubby enjoying the challenge.   But in the end, that just means more tastiness for me! 


I'm not going to post the recipe right now.  If you'd ever like to try a Daring Kitchen recipe, they archive every challenge on their site, here.  There were two recipes supplied for the stuffed grape leaves; I went with the warm (as opposed to cold) one.  The recipe included an apricot tamarind sauce, but I wanted to make a tzatziki because it is my favorite and I like the coolness of the cucumber.  I'll post the tzatziki recipe later.  (I have to make up for those two missed blogging days!)  
I never would have imagined stuffing grape leaves would be so fun; it was quite the rewarding experience to see the little tasty bundles fill up the pan.  I froze half of them, since I knew hubby wouldn't be eating any.  I'll have to pull them out when we have company. 

No comments: