Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Well, the weather has begun to cool and that means it's gumbo time.  I started craving gumbo really badly a couple days ago and got it into my head that I was going to make some.  Even though I grew up in southern Louisiana, my family cooked southern and not Cajun food most of my childhood.  Even as my parents embraced Cajun culture and cuisine as I got  into my teens, they only made gumbo from box mixes.  Homemade gumbo was something enjoyed at other houses.  After I reached adulthood, my dad started to make a really good gumbo, but I never got him to show me while we lived together.  About a month ago, hubby's mom made  some gumbo (which she was kind enough to share)  and I asked a few questions about how she did it.  That's about it when it comes to my gumbo-cooking education.  Any time you have gumbo at someone's house, it's been cooking for hours so you don't get to see how they make it.  Ideally, I wanted to go to hubby's grandparents' house and watch while they made some gumbo, but I got impatient.  I wanted gumbo and I wanted it now.  So with much trepidation, I headed into the kitchen for one of the most rewarding cooking experiences I have had.



For those who don't know, gumbo is a hearty soup that is roux-based.  (Roux being a thick paste made from almost burning equal parts of oil and flour).  There are many variety of gumbos, the most common (in my experience) being: chicken and sausage, shrimp, and seafood.   Gumbo is thickened with the use of either okra (which is how the dish got its name) or file.  For any additional information, I'm sure you know how to use Google. =)

My favorite gumbo is chicken and sausage.  It is simple and comforting, yet so delicious I can't help but go back for more and more.   Everyone  has their own way of making gumbo.  Some make the roux from scratch and some use the kind in a jar (which is much more convenient).  The roux can be light, medium, or dark.  Really, no two pots of gumbo are alike.  I took a chance and decided to go all the way, making the roux from scratch.  I didn't find it as daunting as I had imagined it to be, but I also wimped out and went with a lighter roux than I had planned.  That being said, this gumbo was amazingly delicious  and I am so pleased with myself!  Hubby didn't even let me freeze the leftovers because he wanted to eat more tomorrow.  

*Please note we used a good deal of meat in this gumbo because hubby likes it that way.  Feel free to use less.  

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
  • 4 oz (roughly 1/2 cup) vegetable oil
  • 4 oz (roughly 1/2 cup)  all purpose flour
  • 4 quarts water
  • 1 lb okra, chopped into 1/3 inch rounds (I used the precut frozen kind)
  • 1 large onion, coarsely diced
  • 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely diced
  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, cut into large chunks*
  • 1 lb sausage, cut into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch rounds
  • 6 boiled eggs, peeled
  • 1 tsp Tabasco
  • salt to taste
* I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts to cut down on time, but the meat wasn't as tender as I wanted.  Next time, I'll do it the proper way and throw in some skinless chicken quarters.  This just requires pulling the bones out of the gumbo, removing all the meat, and returning it to the pot.


In a large pot, over medium heat, heat the oil until it is smoking.  Stirring quickly and constantly, add in the flour a bit at a time.  It might chunk up a bit, but it will smooth out if you just keep diligently stirring.  You want your roux to be a thick paste, almost pudding like.  Over medium heat and stirring constantly, cook the roux until it is at least the color of peanut butter and at most the color of mahogany.  My roux took about an hour and looked like milk chocolate. 


Once the roux is finished, slowly pour in the water, whisking constantly.  It is imperative that you keep whisking and don't add too much water at once.  If you do, everything will separate and look horrid and disgusting and you'll have to start all over again.  (This said from experience.)   Once the water is whisked in, bring it all to a boil and keep it going for at least an hour.  


Add in the okra, onion, bell pepper, chicken, and sausage.  Cook at least an additional hour and a half, until everything is tender and melding together.   


Thirty minutes prior to serving, drop in the boiled eggs, whole.  It sounds weird, but trust me, it is divine.  You may also add green onions and parsley at this point.

Serve gumbo ladled over a good portion of rice.   Enjoy!

2 comments:

jenna said...

YUM.

Can I come over for dinner?

Mama Sarah said...

You can always come over for dinner!