Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Roasted Okra

Okay, I know it sounds weird. Roasted. Okra.  If you like okra, you'll like this.  If you don't like okra, well then, come back Sunday.   


So, roasted okra.  In trying to eat healthy, I've had to rethink how I eat most of my vegetables.  Some vegetables can easily be delicious and healthy.  Others have to be worked with.  The deal with okra is that I know so few uses for it: fried (favorite.food.ever), smothered (butter), and in gumbo (not quite a side dish).  I recently made the dry okra, which was tasty, but I was trying to avoid using so much oil.   Then I thought of sticking it in the oven, a la blasted broccoli, and figured "what the hell".  If it was horrible, we just wouldn't eat it.  Lucky for us, it was quite tasty.  Very okra-y, but that's okay with me. 

Roasted Okra
  • 1 lb okra, chopped (again, I used the precut frozen variety)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil 
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400F.  Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.

If there is a lot of excess moisture on your okra (say it recently thawed...), cover a plate with paper towels and then lay the okra down in a single layer to draw out some moisture.  Place okra in a medium sized bowl.  Pour olive oil over the okra, the stir gently to coat.  

 Pour the okra onto the baking sheet, making sure it is spread in a single layer.  Bake 20-25 minutes, or until the okra is dry (i.e., no longer slimy), turning the okra and moving it around occasionally.  Salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments: