Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Blasted Broccoli

Who doesn't love broccoli? Ok. Lots of people don't, and I understand why to a certain degree. But I still love it, as does hubby.. and really most people I know. Sadly, I don't know many ways to prepare it, so any new recipe is great. Luckily, I found this recipe. Woohoo!


Generally, this dish is a great, flavorful side dish that gets you away from the usual steamed broccoli. Our only issue was that it was a bit dry; perhaps I didn't use enough olive oil.

Blasted Broccoli
(originally from Bon Appetit)
  • 1 1/4 lbs (approximately 8 cups) broccoli crowns, cut into florets
  • 3 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • large pinch of dried crushed red pepper

Preheat the oven to 450F.

Toss broccoli and 3 tbsp olive oil in a large bowl to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking dish. [I lined mine with foil.] Roast for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 tbsp oil, garlic, and red pepper. Drizzle over broccoli and toss to coat. Roast until broccoli is beginning to brown, approximately 8 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.

Mmm, tasty!

No comments: