Monday, February 20, 2012

Amaretto & White Chocolate Bread Pudding

Happy Mardi Gras, y'all!  Today, I made a gumbo since the weather has been cool and stormy lately.  As we had a friend over for dinner (and to watch the season finale of Downton Abbey), I felt compelled to make a dessert.  What goes well with gumbo?  Immediate answer: bread pudding.  This past Christmas, I experimented a bit with a bread pudding using amaretto and white chocolate for our Christmas day dessert, and it was delicious!  Sadly, I couldn't remember the recipe.  That's what I get for not writing it down as I go.  Tonight, I decided to just wing it (again), and luckily the recipe came back to me as I went through the motions.  I am super glad for that because everyone really enjoyed this bread pudding, hubby included (and he doesn't like boozy treats).  
 

(Notice the little top in the background? Hubby made that for me on his lathe.  He's actually started a blog, Metallic Tang, documenting his metal and wood working adventures)

Now,  many bread puddings are served with a sauce (traditionally rum, sometimes amaretto) but I wanted to skip that step and make one that was moist and flavorful on its on.  Yay for me because I succeeded.  That being said, hubby and I did have a scoop of ice cream served over the warm bread pudding, which while not traditional, was delicious.   Also, the chunks of melty white chocolate add nice creamy accents.  I won't deny it; I'm pretty impressed with myself. 


Amaretto & White Chocolate Bread Pudding

  • 1 loaf french bread, cut into 1" cubes
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup white, granulated sugar
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1/4 cup amaretto
  • 4 oz white chocolate, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray a 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.  

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until fully combined and light yellow.  Whisk in cream, then amaretto. 

Place the bread cubes in a large bowl; pour the liquid mixture on top, evenly distributing it.  Toss to coat.  Let sit for 5 minutes, then toss to coat again.  Stir in white chocolate chunks, then pour into prepared casserole.  (Throughout this process, you want to expose as much of the bread to as much of the liquid as possible, allowing the liquid to be absorbed.)

Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top pieces of bread begin to brown and crisp.  Serve warm.

No comments: