Sunday, February 5, 2012

Snickerdoodle Scones

Lately it seems that snickerdoodle recipes have caught my eye.  I had decided that this weekend I would either try a pumpkin snickerdoodle cookie recipe or one for snickerdoodle scones.  When I woke up hungry for something sweet this morning, the decision was made: scones would be had.  

I'm a fan of scones; to be honest, who isn't?  They are easy enough to make for breakfast without having to be up for hours before anyone else (cinnamon rolls, I'm looking at you) and when done right have a nice somewhat dense texture that makes them satisfying.  You can have just about any variety of flavor combinations.  What isn't to love?


Snickerdoodle Scones
(original recipe found over at Craving Comfort)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream*
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup cinnamon chips. (optional)
  • cinnamon sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350º. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. 

Combine sour cream and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt in another bowl.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
 
Mix egg and cinnamon into sour cream mixture.  Gently stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until moist.  If using, gently mix in cinnamon chips.
 
Place on baking sheet and pat into a 3/4 inch thick circle. Cut into 8 wedges.  Move slightly so they are not touching. Dust with cinnamon-sugar.
 
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

* I didn't have sour cream and wasn't willing to run to the store.  Instead, I substituted 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and added an additional 1/4 tsp baking soda.  This seemed to be a common substitute on many websites.  When I was combining all of the ingredients, it was a bit too dry to incorporate all of the flour, so I added in some cream until the mix was moist enough to incorporate it all.  Milk would have been fine; I used the cream because I had it and it needed to be used.   It all worked out in the end.  Hubby and I both really enjoyed them. 

No comments: