Sunday, April 22, 2012

Brisket

So I'm a few posts behind.  That's what a trip, a houseguest, and laziness will do to a blog.  Also, hubby and I got chickens so we've been spending a good deal of time learning about them and designing a coop.  But anyway....


For Easter, I decided to try my hand at brisket, having always been too scared to attempt it before.  My grandpa used to make the best brisket ever, but I was entirely too young during those days to pay attention to, or even remotely remember now, what he did other than cook it for what seemed like forever in the pit.  My dad also makes a delicious brisket, seasoning it with a hodgepodge of spices in the pantry, cooking it mostly in the oven, and and then smoking it on the pit for the last hour.  I planned to follow his method, but also wanted a recipe for guidance.  A lady at work shared the Beef Brisket "To Die For" recipe from our local Junior League ladies' cookbook "Something to Talk About" which is a cookbook I happen to own.   And while I might not be dying over it, this is a pretty enjoyable recipe.


Beef Brisket "To Die For"
(Something to Talk About: Occasions We Celebrate in South Louisiana, pg. 165)
  • 1 8-10 lb brisket, trimmed 
  • Cajun or Creole seasoning
  • 1 3/4 cups ketchup
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 10-oz can tomato soup
  • 2 tbsp liquid smoke (I omitted this because I smoked the brisket at the end)
  • 2 tbsp yellow or Dijon mustard
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Preheat oven to 325 to 350F.   Season brisket generously with Cajun seasoning in a large roast pan with cover.  (Because I smoked mine, I used one of those disposable pans and covered it with foil.)  

Combine ketchup, brown sugar, soup, liquid smoke (if using), mustard, and Worcestershire in a bowl and mix well.  Pour over brisket.

Bake, covered, for 3 to 4 hours or until fork-tender.  

(Once the brisket was fairly tender, I put it in the pit for another 45 minutes to give it a nice, authentic smokey flavor.)

Slice thinly and enjoy!

No comments: