Monday, April 23, 2012

Roasted Beets

I've decided I need to expand our vegetable vocabulary, with a focus on  local and seasonal ones.  I've started going to our Saturday Farmer's Market and I try to get something new each time.  A couple weeks ago, I got golden beets and this week I got red ones.  I roasted the golden with potatoes (yum) and turnips (not yum), and we liked them so much I decided to try roasting the red solo.  Shocking surprise: beets not from a can are delicious!



Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese
  • 1 bunch of red beets, trimmed and peeled*
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • goat cheese
 Preheat oven to 400F.  Cut the beets into bite-size pieces.  I cut each beet into 4 slices, then cut those slices into quarters.  Drizzle with olive oil and salt and bake 20-30 minutes, or until fork-tender.

Sprinkle with goat cheese and serve. 

* It would be wise to use gloves and take care while handling the beets as they turn everything bright pink!

No comments: