Saturday, April 19, 2008

Lemon Yogurt Cake


So, as usual, TasteSpotting brought me to yet another recipe; this time, it was Kid Diva's "Lemon Vanilla Yoghurt Cake." Now, for all but the last year of my life, I never really liked anything lemon-flavored. Slowly, I started to move into the lemon zone... And then, this past weekend, I discovered lemon poppy seed muffins. OH GOD why was I not given these before?! Anyhoo, since then I've been craving lemony goodness. And thus enters the lemon cake.

So, if you clicked on the link to the original recipe, you'd notice it was written for someone in Europe (i.e. more sensical modes of measurement). And some ingredients have slightly different names or forms.. so I americanized it a bit. I had to, as I can't hop in my jet and zip on over to a grocery in London. .. So here goes..

Lemon Yogurt Cake:

  • 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 2 medium eggs
  • the zest of 1 lemon (make sure it isn't waxy or chemical-y)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tbsp half & half
  • Icing:
  • a few tsps half & half
  • 1/2 cup (more or less) powdered sugar
  • 1-2 tsp vanilla

- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together the yogurt, sugar, butter, eggs, and zest. Beat in flour. Add cream.
- Grease loaf tin and fill with batter. Cook 55 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once the cake has cooled, slowly add the half & half to the powdered sugar. Stir briskly, slowly working in the powdered sugar. Be careful or lumps might form. Drizzle over cake.

The cake has this almost creamy texture that it is amazing. The lemon is just the right amount.

Okay. Confession. I screwed up majorly the first time I made the cake. I am ubersensitive to my oven's bake time, so I obsessively checked the cake. Once it was a light golden and a toothpick came out clean, I removed it from the oven. A few hours later when I went to slice it, it was gooey. And gross. And heartbreaking. BUT I did learn that the original lemon juice/powdered sugar icing was WAAAY too much lemon. Yes, that much too much. WAAAY. Instead, I opted for the vanilla, which works well I think.

Alright. I am finished posting for the day. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello sarah! i hope u liked the recipe, it really was a spur of the moment thing for me too and i thought the added cream was the best bit combined with yoghurt for the health-conscious.
anyway, tip from one of my friends: you don't need as much lemon juice as we'd like to think in the icing as a tiny bit goes a long way.

lovely blog you have, cheers.x

Mama Sarah said...

thanks! i thought it was a great recipe and a great starting point for baked lemony goodness. i've just got to be careful as i've got a supersensitive tongue when it comes to citrus - thus the icing issue. thanks again for the great recipe!

Leta said...

The lemon cake was delicious.

And the bread you made me ....

was FREAKING AMAZING.


I love you a lot. Thank you! You must make this again sometime. A triumphant success.

Leta said...

You should blog about the nutella challah bread.