Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Nutella Challah


I came across this recipe for No-Knead Nutella and Roasted Hazelnut Challah quite some time ago and bookmarked it baking, then promptly forgot about it. Months pass, then my friend said I should bake her some bread. Further along into the conversation, we discuss our love of Nutella.. wheels start to turn... I get home .. and BAM amazing recipe. AMAZING. i love it. she loves it. anyone who has tasted it loves it!

Nutella Challah
Master Challah Recipe:
1 3/4 cup luke warm water
1 1/2 tbsp instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
7 cups all-purpose flour

Mix together eggs, water, honey, melted butter, yeast, and salt. Stir well. Add in flour. Stir until there are no more bits of flour. Cover and refrigerate (at least overnight and up to 4 days.)
***This will yield 3 loaves of the challah. The loaves are smaller than the first challah I made. And they will go fast. Just, be advised this makes a good amount of dough.

Filling:
4-6 Tbsp Nutella
1 egg and 1 tbsp water, combined to make wash

So when you're ready to make your amazing bread, remove a grapefruit sized ball from the dough in the fridge. Generally flour hands and dough; shape dough into a ball. Cover and let it warm for a bit. (The original recipe said to let it sit while you roast the hazelnuts; I did not use the hazelnuts at all, so I just let it sit for a few minutes.) Preheat the oven to 350F.

Roll the dough into a thick log; this makes it easier to divide into three equal pieces. Divide into 3 equal pieces (dur!) Roll each piece until about 1 1/2 inch thick ropes. This might be tricky; it was difficult for me because the dough wanted to flatten, not roll. Running down the length of each piece, create an indentation with your fingers/hand/whatever. Spread Nutella in the groove. I never measured how much Nutella I used; I just filled the indentation with gooey goodness.


Now, slightly pull the sides of the dough and pinch them together, enclosing the Nutella completely. Bring the three strands close together and start braiding from the middle. When you get to the end, pinch the ends together and fold them under. Start braiding from the other side, but going underneath so the braid is uniform.


My seams started to come apart a bit. I just pinched them back together. In some places, the dough was thin over the Nutella; it's okay. I promise. Place the loaves on a baking sheet and let it sit for an hour to an hour and a half.

Now, brush the eggwash over the entire loaf. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes. The crust should be a nice golden color.

This recipe is delicious! I plan to make more really soon. I definitely enjoy having dough ready in the fridge for whatever delicious treat I desire.

If you even like Nutella the tiniest bit, MAKE THIS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am obsessed with this recipe and make it often. Thanks so much for sharing it! It was my first foray into the bread-baking world and is so easy.

Mama Sarah said...

I'm so glad this recipe has worked so wonderfully for you! It is quite tasty; I mean, seriously, Nutella filled bread? Mmm. Bread baking can be daunting, but it's so rewarding, isn't it?