Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Pork Milanese


One day after class, I was watching Everyday Italian. Giada made breaded porkchops, which looked pretty darn tasty. I decided to give it a try. It is very simple.

You're going to need seasoned bread crumbs. Giada said ones from the store are fine, but why use something someone else has seasoned? They aren't you. They don't know your tastes. I say pshaw to preseasoned bread crumbs. I seasoned mine with: garlic and onion powders, salt, pepper, parsley flakes, oregano, and a bit of dried rosemary. Again, you know what spices you like, so do whatever floats your boat.

You'll also need thin cut pork chops. I got a breakfast cut because they were the thinnest I could find. I felt it was a poor cut of meat as I had to cut out the bone and get rid of a good portion of fat. The thinness was great; the rest was not.

Now, in separate bowls have 3/4 cup flour (seasoned with salt and pepper) and then 2 beaten eggs.

Heat some vegetable oil - Giada said olive oil was too strongly flavored for this dish - in a large skillet.

Now it's time to start the "assembly line". First, coat the porkchop in flour, then dip it in the eggs. Coat the chop in breadcrumbs, then place in the skillet. Repeat. Cook, about 5 minutes for each side. Remove from pan once cooked through.

Giada had a lemon-caper cream sauce to go along with these, but hubby is not a fan of capers. I instead served them with a dill sauce I picked up the store.

This recipe would only work with thinly cut pork chops, and man did it work. A lot of that has to do with the seasonings, but the seasoning to meat ration worked really nicely.

No comments: