Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Rainy Day Golden Apple Cake

By now I hope you assume most recipes I find are through TasteSpotting. This time it brought me to Pictures of Cake and her self-concocted Rainy Day Golden Apple Cake. I'm not cool, so I don't have 5 inch cake pans, but other than that I stuck with recipe. It was very simple.


  • 1 medium Golden Delicious apple
  • 1 tbsp diced unsalted butter
  • 1/2 tsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp softened unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/8 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 5 (or 9) inch cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Butter that as well.
Thinly slice the apple. I did so using the mandolin slicer. Line the pan with apples, overlapping slices. Make it pretty because this will be the top of your cake.
Spread the butter bits and 1/4 tsp brown sugar over the apples.
Cream the rest of the butter and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, and vanilla extract.
Stir egg mixture into butter/sugar mixture. Mix well.
In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix into sugar mixture. Mix until no dry spots remain.
Pour batter on top of apples. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before running a knife along the edges and turning the cake out of the pan to cool completely.
It is advised to serve this with cream. Good either warm or cool.

This is a simple, pretty cake. If I made this again, I don't think I'd add the lemon zest, and I'd spice up the batter some more.

Also, the cake had a bunch of weird air pockets. Perhaps I did not mix well enough?

3 comments:

jenna said...

pretty

no vietnamese recipes?

Mama Sarah said...

actually, I don't think I've really come across any. Usually when Vietnamese foods are featured, it's more "I had this at the market" instead of how to make it.

jenna said...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2114/2488771362_008635c1ea.jpg?v=1210651801