Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake

This weekend was jam-packed with in-laws.  Yesterday we went to hubby's cousin's wedding, and today we had an early pseudo-Thanksgiving dinner at his aunt's house (I say pseudo because we had steak and lobster instead of turkey.. that's my kind of Thanksgiving!). His aunt, knowing about this blog and my dreams of baking, asked that I bring dessert. I knew immediately I'd bring the pumpkin spice cookies because they're like crack, but also wanted to bring something a bit more impressive.  I've been wanting to try my hand at a chocolate cheesecake lately as I've only made the plain kind before and this seemed to be the perfect opportunity.  I found this recipe at least a year ago over at The Smitten Kitchen (which is great).  It sounded tasty and I was also super-amused by the teddy graham massacre.   Other than the caramel part, the recipe is easy-peasy.  More importantly, it is delicious! I think I have a few more admirers in my life now.  



Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake
(original recipe here)

Crumb Crust
  • 1 1/2 cups finely ground cookies,  such as chocolate wafers or teddy grahams 
  • 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
Cheesecake
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 8 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3 8-oz packages of cream cheese, softened
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla 
 In a medium bowl, stir together dry crumb ingredients (cookie crumbs, sugar, and salt).  Using a fork, mix in the melted butter until all of the ingredients are moistened.  Press the crumbs into the bottom and 1" up the sides of  a buttered 9" springform pan.  Place in the freezer until ready to fill.

Preheat the oven to 350F.

In a small, heavy saucepan, cook the sugar over moderately low heat, stirring slowly until the sugar has melted and is golden.  Continue to cook the caramel, swirling the pan instead of stirring, until it is a deep golden brown.  Remove from the heat and add the heavy cream.  There will be lots of steam and the caramel will harden.  Cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the caramel has softened and dissolved.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate until smooth.  Stir in the sour cream.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until it is fluffy, then beat in the chocolate mixture on low speed.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla, beating on low speed until each ingredient is fully incorporated.  Scrape down the bowl between additions.

Put the springform pan in a shallow baking pan.  Pour the filling into the crust and bake (in the baking pan to catch drips) in the middle of the oven for 55 minutes, or until the cake is set 3 inches from the edge and the center is slightly wobbly. (This took maybe 70 minutes for me.)

Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen and cool completely on a rack.  Chill the cake, loosely covered, for at least 6 hours.  Remove the side of the pan and transfer to a plate.  Bring to room temperature before serving.

A few notes:  Hubby and I feel the chocolate overwhelmed the caramel, so next time I might use a mixture of bittersweet and semisweet chocolates or just use less chocolate in general.  Also, the cookie crumb crust is very crumbly. 

No comments: