Monday, November 30, 2009

Pie Crust

I missed posting yesterday; oops.  After Thanksgiving and the days after, I was just exhausted. I'm still tired, so forgive me.   I'll slowly post my recipes for Thanksgiving since everything was homemade, down to the chicken stock that went into the gravy.  I went insane and it was marvelously fun, but I was oh-so-tired afterwards.

I think I've mentioned before that I am not so fond of pumpkin pie (blegh texture), so for Thanksgiving, I always make my apple custard pie.  On Thanksgiving eve, I was thinking over all the things I was making and realized that everything would be made from scratch, except the pie crust.   I had planned on using a Pilsbury pie crust, but by god, if i was going to make everything else, I was damned well going to make my own pie crust.  Crust fears be damned! I don't know why pie crust intimidated me so; I've made tart crusts and handpies and puff pastry.  How had pie crust become  so difficult to my mind? In an attempt at badassery (really, all of Thanksgiving dinner from scratch), I pushed past those fears.  What did I learn? Pie crust is easy.  Easy as pie. 




I found this recipe ages ago and saved it for the day I would be brave enough..

Pie Crust
(originally found here
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 3/4 cup shortening, cut into chunks
1/2 cup water
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp white vinegar


In a large bowl, whisk  together flour, salt, and sugar until well combined.  Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the shortening into the flour until the mixture looks like large, coarse crumbs.



In a small bowl, whisk together water, egg, and vinegar.  Drizzle the liquid over the dry ingredients and mix gently with a fork just until combined.  It might still be crumbly.


Form the dough into a ball and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, taking care to work the dough as little as possible.  Chill for at least an hour.

For a single pie crust, use 1/4 of the dough.  Roll that 1/4 of the dough on a well-floured surface and dust  with flour as needed while rolling to prevent sticking. 

If you are using this crust in a no-bake pie, prick the crust all over with a fork, then bake at 350F for approximately 15 minutes or until it begins to turn golden.  Otherwise, use as directed.

No comments: