Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fennel Gratin

So I've failed at Wednesday updating again. I guess I'll have to suspend Wednesday posts until I get into the swing of my new schedule. And, as I start my new job tomorrow and need some rest, I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

Looking through Alice Water's The Art of Simple Food, I came across the section on fennel. Included in said section was a recipe for a fennel gratin which seemed tasty. As my dad has never had fennel before I thought I'd make it.  I made a few adaptations, and I'll just post as I did it. 






Fennel Gratin
  • 2 medium/large fennel bulbs, trimmed of stalks and outer/bruised layer
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup water (reserved from initial cooking of fennel)
  • dash of nutmeg
  • dash of red pepper
  • 1/2 cup parmesan

Cut the fennel in half and then into wedges; do the same to the onion.  Fill a large pot with salted water and add the fennel and onion. Bring to a boil then cook for 5 minutes. Reserve 2/3 cup of the water, then drain. 

In a small saucepan, melt  the butter. Stir in the flour then cook for 3 minutes over medium heat.  Slowly add the milk and water, stirring constantly and vigorously to prevent lumping.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in the nutmeg, pepper, and parmesan.



Generously butter or spray a casserole dish, then pour in the fennel and onion. Pour the sauce over the top. bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

No comments: