Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 2010 Daring Cooks' Challenge: Brunswick Stew

The 2010 April Daring Cooks challenge was hosted by Wolf of Wolf’s Den. She chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make Brunswick Stew. Wolf chose recipes for her challenge from The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook by Matt Lee and Ted Lee, and from the Callaway, Virginia Ruritan Club.



Now who does love a good stew?  Granted, my experience was limited to the beef-potato-and-carrot type, but I still love it!  Brunswick stew is different in that it has a variety of meats (ham, chicken, and bacon in mine) and veggies (corn and lima beans in mine).  I was a bit hesitant at first regarding the lima beans, but they worked surprisingly well.   There were two different recipes, and for this challenge I went with the easy one.   To be honest, I got confused and did my Daring Bakers' Challenge thinking it was due today and didn't realize my mistake til oh 10 p.m. last night.  That left me with the little time after work today to do the challenge.  Because hubby REALLY enjoyed this stew, I'll be making it again, and next time I'll use the more involved recipe.  

Brunswick Stew, the Short Recipe
(Brunswick Stew recipe from the Callaway, Va Ruritan Club)
(I halved the recipe and made some modifications; my version is what's below)
  • 3 strips of bacon, diced
  • 1 large onion, roughly diced
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • 1 cup frozen baby lima beans
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 2 medium potatoes (or 1 large and 1 small like I had), diced
  • 1 1/2 lb cooked chicken and ham, diced
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp Poultry Seasoning (luckily, my dad discovered some in the pantry this week!)
  • Dash of red pepper
  • 2 lbs (one of the cartons) of chicken broth
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 can tomato juice

In a large pot, spread the diced bacon in a single layer along the bottom of the pan.  Cook over medium heat until crispy.  Add in the onions and saute for a few minutes before stirring in the butter.  Add in the corn, lima beans, and tomato.  Sprinkle in the poultry seasoning and red pepper and stir til it is evenly distributed.  Pour in the two broths and tomato juice.  Add the potato, chicken, and ham.  Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and let cook until veggies are tender. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loathe lima beans, but otherwise that sounds delicious. I love stew. :)

Miss you! <3 xoxo

Mama Sarah said...

Neither Bobby nor I like lima beans, but they worked really well in this recipe. It might help that I bought frozen baby lima beans, which seemed to have a much thinner skin than most lima beans we've had.