Sunday, April 4, 2010

Apple-Spiced Sweet Potatoes

Last weekend, hubby and I were at his granny's house for a big family dinner.  Since she was having issues with her computer, he sat down to work on it.. two hours later, basically everyone else had left and Granny came in to sit with us.  She and I started talking recipes and she brought out a cookbook she just got it: Better Homes and Gardens:  Our Best Recipes.  As I flipped through, I exclaimed every few pages at the tastiness of a recipe.  Granny, being the sweetheart she is, gave me the cookbook.  I knew immediately which recipe I wanted to try first, a slow cooker recipe combining apples and sweet potatoes.  I served it with porkchops seasoned with salt, red pepper, and ground mustard, which paired well with the apples and sweet potatoes. 


 The recipe calls for apple pie filling; I feel like this made the apples too soft and crumbly.  Next time, I'll start with fresh so they hold up a bit better. I was also pretty loose with the recipe, so I'll put the recipe and my alterations. 

Apple-Spiced Sweet Potatoes 
  • 3 1/2 to 4 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
  • 1 20-oz can apple pie filling
  • 2/3 cup golden raisins (I omitted these)
  • 3 tbsp butter or margarine, cut up
  • 1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice (I don't have this so I just sprinkled in some cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove)
  • 1 recipe candied pecans (omitted)

Lightly coat the liner of a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker with nonstick spray.  Add sweet potato chunks, apple pie filling, raisins, butter, and the apple pie spice.  Mix well.

Cover; cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.  

Meanwhile, prepared Candied Pecans.  To serve, top each serving of potatoes with some o the pecans. 

Candied Pecans: In a large skillet, combine 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, 1/3 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp butter.  Cook and stir over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until sugar mixture clinging to the nuts turns golden and starts to melt.  Pour nut mixture onto a large piece of foil; cool completely.  when nut mixture is cool, coarsely crush.

No comments: