Sunday, April 18, 2010

Banana Pancakes

Yesterday I realized I had some bananas that were very, very ripe.  I started to think about what I could make (bars, bread, etc) when Jack Johnson's "Banana Pancakes" started playing in my head.  I then informed hubby we would be having banana pancakes for breakfast today.  

After I woke up and made my way to the kitchen, I started thinking that maybe I'd rather make banana fritters.  Remembering I had such a recipe, I pulled out my Jacques Pepin cookbook.  His recipe didn't appeal to me this morning, largely because it called for the bananas to be sliced.  I decided to just create something.  



As you can see, I ended up with pancakes more than fitters, but they were delicious so I'm okay with it.  I imagine this recipe will evolve, but hubby and I enjoyed our breakfast of banana pancakes.

Banana Pancakes
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 bananas, mashed

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  Make a little well in the center, then add the egg and a small amount of milk into it.  Slowly start to whisk the liquids into the dry ingredients, adding more milk as it thickens up.  Whisk until smooth.  Stir in the mashed bananas.  You want a fairly thick batter that won't spread much in the pan. 

In a skillet, heat 2-3 tbsp of oil over medium heat.  Spoon 1/3 cup of batter into the pan.  Depending on the size of your skillet, you could do 2 or 3 at a time.  Cook for three minutes on one side, until the edges start to set.  Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes, until it the pancake is firm.

We had ours with a thin icing (per hubby's request) but any syrup would work well.  
 

1 comment:

jenna said...

Never actually had these - looks good!

http://spirographs.blogspot.com/