Wednesday, September 29, 2010

White Turkey Chili

I wish I could say I made this chili with this cold front that has come in (lows in the 60s, high in the 80s), but I can't.  I made it a few weeks ago, while it was still blisteringly hot outside.  But everyone has that odd "it's not the right time of year for this!!" craving.  Watermelon on Christmas Eve, chili in the middle of the summer.  It happens to us all.  

Now, my family is very much a tomato-beef chili kind of clan.  I've had turkey chili once before and it was served to me by a healthnut professor of mine.  But I need to expand my regular food repertoire,  so I took a shot at White Turkey Chili.  



White Turkey Chili
  • olive oil
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  •  1 large onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 tbsp dried marjoram
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 can cannellini beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
  • 1 can fava beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
(I experimented with my herbs/spices and you should too!)

In a large pot, heat enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.  Brown the turkey, stirring frequently to break it up.   Add the onion.  Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onions are tender.  Stir in marjoram, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.  

Pour in vegetable and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover.  Twenty minutes prior to serving, stir in the beans.  

Serve topped with shredded cheese.  

No comments: