Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cinnamon Swirls

Wednesday afternoon, I really wanted to bake something bready. I'm still thinking about the hot cross buns from Panera, but I decided not to attempt those in case they didn't live up to my craving. I started flipping through The Taste of Home Cookbook and came across a few recipes I really, really wanted to try. My first choice required overnight refrigeration, so I decided to wait until the weekend to make it. So here's my second choice: Sarah Bueckert's Cinnamon Crisps (I've renamed them as they are not, nor should they be, crisp). They were fun to make, though a challenge because I lack counter space.. at one point, the cookie sheets had to rest (for the rising process) on the floor in the corner because I had no where else safe to put them..



Cinnamon Swirls:
Dough :
4 cups flour
1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm (120-130F) milk (1 1/4, not 1/4 as I first used.. and then had to start all over)
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg

Filling :
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Topping :
1 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I omitted them because hubby doesn't like nuts)
1/4 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour and the yeast. In a separate bowl, combine warm milk, shortening, sugar, and salt. Add to the flour and beat for 1 minute.
Add the egg, then beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating for 3 minutes on medium speed. Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 6-8 minutes). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, approximately 1 hour.
Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients and set aside. For the topping, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and, if you're using them, pecans. Set this aside as well. Punch down the dough, then divide it in half.
Roll each half into a 12 inch square. Divide the filling in two and spread on each half. Roll up tightly, jelly roll style, and pinch the ends and sides to seal.
Cut into 1 inch slices and place on a greased baking sheet (I used parchment paper instead of greasing the sheets). Put four to six on each sheet. Flatten slices into 3 inch circles. (You can use the palm of your hand, placing wax paper between.) Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Then flatten each roll to 5 inch diameter.
Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with the topping. Cover with waxed paper and flatten again (you can use a rolling pin and wax paper).
Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or until LIGHTLY browned. My first batch of 4 were overcooked slightly. For the next ones, I watched them carefully; they really shouldn't color that much.

One of the tastiest parts about this is that the butter and sugar melt together, and where it runs off the swirl, it bakes into a little sugary goodness pool. Also, the bottoms will be sticky, but in the best possible way. These are definitely best when eaten warm, but they are still a good treat the next day.

Also, I'm a bit torn if there was enough filling.. If anything, I might just make what's listed, then half more. Maybe... I don't know. They were pretty damn good as they were..

No comments: