Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pasta Casserole (needs a better name)


I came across this recipe for a baked pasta casserole a few days ago and decided it would be a nice, quick dinner. The prep time wasn't bad, I was just a little unprepaid. It also didn't help that I decided to add some things while in the middle of cooking....

Baked Pasta Casserole (it needs a better name.. got any ideas?) :
olive oil
salt
3/4 lb pasta (I used shells)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups spinach, roughly chopped
8 oz mushrooms, chopped
5 strips bacon, crumbled
8 oz mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350F.
Boil pasta in salted water. Drain and toss with olive oil. Make sure it's tossed well.
Saute onion in olive oil, either for a few minutes or until caramelized. Mine were well cooked - pretty translucent - but not caramelized. Add garlic and cook for a moment or two. Next, add spinach and mushrooms and cook until the spinach just starts to lose volume (up to a minute, that's all). Salt mixture, then add to the pasta. Add bacon. Mix WELL. It needs to be very well combined, otherwise the flavor will end up being uneven throughout the dish.
Pour half of the pasta into a buttered/oiled casserole pan (13x9). Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella. Add the rest of the pasta, then cover with the remainder of the cheese. Cover the dish with foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and delicious.

Hubby wanted it to have more meat - I thought adding the bacon would be enough, but I was wrong. I thought it was pretty tasty, though I'll probably use a different type of pasta and I'd perhaps add some herbs - maybe basil. Also, I'm on this kick where onions are the most delicious things ever, so I'd add more onion too.


Last night, I made some cinnamon buns I need to post. They were warm, cinnamony-sugar goodness. Not quite as overwhelming as a cinnamon roll. No icing. I think they are a great breakfast treat... or dessert, perhaps with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.. Anyhoo, look for that within the next day or so. I also plan to make an apple bread this weekend, so there's that to look forward to as well.

No comments: