Sunday, March 30, 2008

Foodsplosion

For various reasons, I did not cook at all this past week.. business, illness... but I always feel guilty if I go too long without cooking. It's just silly not to. Also, I'm doing a behavior modification project which just happens to focus on my dishwashing habits..and if I don't cook, I can't really modify behavior that I'm not doing, can I? Anyhoo....

My friend Leigh mentioned Wednesday that she was craving chocolate chip cookies. Thursday night, I was watching Ultimate Recipe Showdown cookie challenge. Though I had missed the actual chocolate chip cookie portion, I got online and decided to check out the winning recipe. Friday, Leigh still hadn't had cookies, so I decided to make her some. Woo crazy me.


So.. Radical Rob's Chocolate Chip Cookies. Not so radical... not in taste. The cookies are super-thin though.. And sugar-crispy. I prefer my cookies fluffy, so I probably wouldn't make these again. They weren't anything special. Not bad. Not special. Average cookie. I don't really see why it won the challenge. I guess it's texture.. Oh well.. Perhaps you'll like it.


Much earlier this week, I decided I was going to make this pork and fennel dish from my Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook. I've made it before; so far, it's the only way we've liked fennel. I also really enjoy the pork being so thin; plus pounding it is fun.


Pork with Fennel:
12 oz pork tenderloin (I usually use pork chops)
1/4 cup flour
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
2 oz pancetta (or bacon) finely chopped
2 fennel bulbs, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 small onion. thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup whipping cream (I was out and used whole milk tonight)

Trim fat from meat, then cut into 1 inch squares. Place each slice between two sheets of plastic wrap, then pound with a meat mallet into 1/4 inch thickness.
In a bowl or plate, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Coat meat with mixture. Heat olive oil in a skillet, cook pork until meat is slightly pink in the center (2-3 minutes).
In the same skillet, cook pancetta (or bacon, like me) until crisp. Add fennel, onion, and garlic. Cook until crisp-tender (about 3-5 minutes). Add lemon juice. Stir in whipping cream. Bring to a boil, return meat to pan. Cook until meat is heated through and sauce is slightly thickened.
Best served with rice.

I'm in the process of baking the apple bread. I'll post it soon. I am just too tired right now.

No comments: