Monday, March 17, 2008

St Patty's Day Irish Soda Bread



Since my college roommate was an exchange student from Ireland, I now feel the need to observe St Patty's in some small way. As I'm not one to go out and get drunk, I decided to cook something (shocking, I know). I thought of making an Irish stew, as she did for us one day, but came across many recipes for Irish Soda Bread over at TasteSpotting and that seemed like more fun and less work.

I agree with all the comments I read: this bread would make a tasty breakfast bread. It is super tasty warm with butter. It's also easy to make. It's a winner.

The recipe came from Yumsugar. I did use both caraway seeds and raisins. I've never used caraway seeds, and I've discovered I find them to be tasty.



yumsugar's grandmother's irish soda bread:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 cup raisins
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour a loaf pan. Combine dry ingredients. Add caraway seeds and raisins. In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs and milk. Slowly add to the dry ingredients. Stir until you've got a sticky dough. It won't take long. Place in the prepared pan and lightly sprinkle flour on top. Bake for approximately 50 minutes. Mine went for 45. Let cool for a moment, then remove from the pan. Serve warm. With butter. Enjoy.

No comments: