Sunday, April 12, 2009

Roast Chicken

Happy Bunny Day! I've been wanting to roast a chicken lately, so I decided today would be a good day to do so. A long time ago, I was mesmerized by the photos in this blog entry; the citrus and pomegranate with the variety of herbs just looked so beautiful. And of course, tasty. So that was my inspiration.


For my aromatics, I used:
a bunch of flat leaf parsley
pearl onions
lemons, quartered
orange, quartered
garlic cloves
sage
rosemary
thyme
White wine
chicken broth

After rinsing the chicken and removing the gizzards and whatnot, I patted it dry. I placed it on top of the aromatics and stuffed one or two of each ingredient inside. Then I gently separated the skin from the breast meat. I stuffed garlic cloves and nibs of butter between the skin and meat. After seasoning it with salt and pepper, I placed a few pats of butter on top of the skin, poured in the broth and wine, and covered it. Then I baked it on 375F for about 2 hours. For the last 45 minutes or so, I uncovered it.

Now, my chicken had one of those little red pop up things that tells you when it's done. Except, when hubby went to carve the chicken, it was not done. So we had to let it cook a little while longer.



Nice and golden. I'll definitely be using butter again the next time I roast a bird. For some reason, roasting a bird makes me feel accomplished. Especially when it is as delicious as this one was. All of the flavors incorporated really well into the meat, creating moist, flavorful bites.

I served this with some simple potatoes, which I'll post in a minute.


Such a tasty, delicious meal!

No comments: