Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hot Milk Sponge Cake

Well, I am just on a roll today, aren't I? First, the puffed pancake, then the NoLa shrimp, now this cake. Man, it was a good day! I just felt the need to end it with something sweet, and of course homemade. And it's Sunday, so I've got to have something for my coworkers (some of whom have been completely whiney about the lack of baked goods, others of whom were completely understanding). Now, I have a slight problem. My company is doing a fitness challenge, and my shift as grouped together and decided to lose weight. (I'm not participating because I'll only be around for half of the competition). They've said they'll eat baked goods if they're "healthy", to which I scoff. I told hubby I'd use double butter and extra heavy cream for everything. Evil? ME?? MUAHAHAHAHAHA. Um..... ..... But I actually found a recipe I marked as "to try" eons ago that is relatively healthy. SO there we go. I'll lure them into a false sense of security before dosing them with butter and cream. MUAHAHAHAHA

...



Hot Milk Sponge Cake
(from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, pg 181)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tbsp butter

Let eggs sit at room temp for 30 minutes. Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan (I used 8x8 which increased my baking time). Preheat oven to 350F.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 4 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for another 4 minutes or until light and fluffy (mine never got light and fluffy; it was creamy).

Add flour to egg mixture and beat just until combined.

In a small saucepan, combine milk and butter, heating and stirring until the butter melts. Add to the batter and beat until coombined.

Pour batter into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (Mine took closer to 30 minutes.)

Cool in pan on a cooling rack.

Serve dusted with powdered sugar or with fruit. It's sweet on its own, so tart raspberries complement the cake quite well. I'd also consider using this for some strawberry shortcake. Mmmm. It's tasty. I might have to whip up some cream... But I guess that would make it not so low fat, eh?

No comments: