Sunday, May 24, 2009

Spring Shrimp Pasta

It has been a foodless week here in Mama Sarah's Kitchen. Hubby and I experienced greatly reduced appetites all week long. Luckily, we didn't experience any other maladies, but needless to say, I haven't cooked much this week. When we did our weekly grocery shopping, I bought all sorts of fresh veggies and such for the things I planned to cook, and now I'm frantically trying to get them all cooked.

Today, I had to use up my asparagus (sans tips which had gotten very.. soft). Quite awhile ago, I made an Easy Italian Mac and Cheese that I found in a magazine at the laundromat. I used that as a basis for this dish. Peas, asparagus, pasta, and cheese with the additional of shrimp. I realized as I started to prepare this that I only had macaroni noodles; they worked well enough, but I think I'll stick with bowtie next time.


Spring Shrimp Pasta
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked pasta
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced (yes, garlic is supposed to be listed twice)
1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1 - 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup ricotta
1 cup shredded mozzarella
2 tbsp heavy cream
salt and pepper (white if available)

In a medium skillet, melt butter, then add 1 clove of minced garlic. Saute until the garlic becomes fragrant. Lay the shrimp in the skillet in a single layer; you may need to cook in batches. Sprinkle with salt. Once the shrimp begin to pink and curl, flip them (1-2 minutes). Cook until the shrimp are opaque and firm. Remove to a plate or bowl.

Drizzle olive oil across the bottom of a large skillet. Add garlic (2 cloves) and saute for a minute or two over medium-low heat. Add asparagus and onions and saute until tender, but crisp (5-10 minutes). Add peas and cook a few minutes longer, until the peas are thoroughly heated and soft.

Reduce heat to low and stir in ricotta, mozzarella, and cream. Stir constantly while cheeses melt, making sure to combine all of the elements. Salt and pepper to taste. It will take quite a bit of each to get it well seasoned. I added salt at just about every stage and still needed to add a good bit at the end.

Stir in shrimp. Let everything incorporate and settle, then serve.

I added a bit of parsley also.

Hubby and I both enjoyed it. He was quite disappointed when he walked into the kitchen for thirds (!!!!) only to find I had already put everything away. It's a difficult life he leads here in Mama Sarah's kitchen. Difficult indeed.

No comments: