Friday, May 29, 2009

Pound Cake Failure

A friend of mine at work requested a pound cake awhile ago. Actually, she requested a "standard" pound cake, a lemon pound cake, and an apple pie. This was while I was still in class, so she knew it would be awhile before she got one. The beginning of this week was absolutely horrible for her, so I decided it was about time I got my butt in the kitchen and made her the first of her 3 treats. I'm not sure if you've ever looked for such a recipe, but there are billions. I thought I'd use an old-school, church ladies' submissions type cookbook my mom always used when I was growing up. (She and my dad found copies for my sister and I one recent Christmas). I flipped to the index to find 10 pages of pound cake recipe. Crap. I chose one titled "Southern Pound Cake" or something of the sort and into the kitchen I went.

I'm disappointed. The texture was ALL wrong. It wasn't moist and dense at all. My friend liked it (or so she says) but I do not. At all. So that's one recipe I'll never use again. It was like eating buttered bread. And very dry.

The weekend is upon us and I WILL get busy in the kitchen. I feel like such a slacker. Sorry.

No comments: