Sunday, May 17, 2009

Puff Pancake

Well, it's been a week exactly since I obtained a BA from my tiny liberal arts college. Sorry I haven't posted this past week, but I've spent a great deal of time soul-searching, trying to figure out what college taught me about myself and my path in life ... No, really I was playing the Wii my mom got me. It's an addicting little device! But, with college behind me and loads of free time now, Mama Sarah is back! No more, "I hope I can bake at least once a week" and hubby cooking dinner all the time. That's right, I've already completely overloaded myself with a list of things to try.

So this morning, hubby and I had a bit of a disagreement over what to have for breakfast. We were both quite hungry; I wanted some spiced pancakes and he wanted an egg casserole. Well, both would take way too much time so I decided to try a puff pancake. I saw it years ago.. ok more like a year okay when I first started cataloging recipes and such. Sadly, it sat in my Recipes tab for months and months.. until today. I used that first recipe I discovered, though I've seen many since then.


Puff Pancake
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • scant pinch of nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • juice from 1/2 a lemon (topping)
  • 2 tbsp powdered sugar (topping)
Preheat oven to 425F. Melt butter in your skillet. Now, size IS important here. Your pan needs to be 11 or 12 inches in diameter on the BOTTOM, not from rim to rim. It needs to be oven proof. For other pan variations, check out the original recipe here.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, nutmeg, and sugar. Whisk in milk, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Pour the batter into your buttery skillet and immediately place in the oven.

Bake 18-20 minutes, until quite puffy and golden, with darker brown areas. See the picture below? \/


Now, squeeze the lemon juice over the pancakes, then sprinkle the powdered sugar over it. Cut into quarters. Add some berries if you'd like.


Hubby passed on the raspberries and had maple syrup with his. I added LOTS of berries and drizzled mine with honey. We both agree that this is quite tasty; hubby says it reminds him of funnel cake. You would definitely want to serve this with something else; it is quite airy and thus not so filling.

I'm glad to be back; look forward to many posts in the future.

No comments: