Sunday, August 23, 2009

Samoa Bars

A fun fact: the name of your girl scout cookies depends on where you live. While living in Cedar Rapids, I had a moment of panic when I ordered some GS cookies, thinking they no longer made my absolute favorites (Tagalongs). Turns out that in Iowa (and other places) Tagalongs are called Peanut Butter Patties (boring), Samoas are called Caramel Delights, and Trefoils are just called Shortbread. It's odd; I've heard it's because there are two manufactoring places and they label the cookies differently, but I'm not sure how much I believe that. What's funniest is the boxes are identical, except the cookie name.

So what I present to you today are Samoa (or Caramel Delight) bars. I made these largely for my sister who loves Somoas and who didn't order any this year. She loved them, especially when refrigerated. My dad loved the increased proportions, the bars having more cookie than the actual cookies do. I love the simple fact that these are bars; my child had a definite absence of bars so I find them so delightful now. Weird, I know, but don't let that deter you from trying this recipe out. Even if you don't really like coconut (like me), you'll be surprised by how little that matters with these. The caramel accompanying the coconut makes it all okay.


Samoas Bars
(original recipe)

Cookie Base
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Topping
  • 3 cups shredded coconut (either sweetened or unsnweetened)
  • 12 oz good-quality chewy caramels (I used Werthers)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 10 oz dark or semisweet dipping chocolate

Start with the cookie base. Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease or line with parchment paper a 9x13 baking pan.

In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. On low speed, gradually beat in flour and salt until the mixture is crumbly, like wet sand. Pour the dough into prepared pan and press it into an even layer.

Bake 20-25 minutes, or until base is set and the edges are lightly browned. Cool completely before topping.

For the topping: First, we'll need to toast the coconute. Preheat oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then evenly spread the coconut on it. Toast for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, until the coconut is golden. Cool on the baking sheet, stirring occasionally.

Unwrap the caramels and place them in a large microwave-safe bowl with milk and salt. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring every minute or so to help the caramel melt while also incorporating the milk into it. When fully melted and smooth, fold in the toasted coconut.

Using a spoon or spatula, dollop the topping across the cookie base, then smooth it into an even layer. Let it cool completely.

Once cooled, cut into 30 bars. (A pizza cutter is handy for this.)

Melt the dipping chocolate into a bowl by heating in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring after each. Dip the base of each bar into the chocolate and then place it on a clean sheet of parchement paper. Transfer the remaining chocolate into a piping or ziplock bag and drizzle the bars to finish.


Now, the original recipe just says any dark or semisweet chocolate will do, but I had the problem of my chocolate never setting. That made transportation really difficult and also made a mess. My sister suggested the dipping chocolate and she is absolutely right. Next time, I'll use dipping chocolate.

No comments: