Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Strawberry Muffins and a New Goal

I've discovered in this month of being unemployed that I have motivation issues when my life is so unstructured. From now on, I will attempt to blog a new recipe on Wednesday and Sundays, hopefully one sweet (baking) and one savory (cooking). I've also joined The Daring Kitchen for both baking and cooking so I'll have two monthly challenges. I'm excited! The new schedule will go into effect next week. Now onto the strawberry muffins.

Living in south Louisiana means dealing with sweltering summers. The oppressive heat/humidity double-combo frequently makes certain foods unpleasant. When you've been in and out all day, you do not want to eat something heavy. Now that's all fine and good until we reach dessert; so many treats are heavy and decadent. Luckily, there are a few light treats that satisfy the sweet tooth without overwhelming you. One such treat is strawberry shortcake.

Hubby and I seem to be developing the habit of eating dinner at his mother's every other week or so. Since she cooks dinner, I feel it's only fair to contribute a dessert. The time before last, I brought Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies, which were a hit. I thought another strawberry dessert would be a crowd-pleaser, as well as light. I had a recipe for what I thought was a strawberry shortcake-esque cupcake. Turns out, not so much. I'm not saying they weren't tasty; they just weren't what I expected. Firstly, for some reson mine fell ALOT. They were concave on top, not convex. They were also more akin to a muffin than a cupcake in my opinion, so I didn't ice them. As muffins, they're great. As strawberry cupcakes, they leave much to be desired. If you'd like to try them out, you can follow the link. You might love them. My audience was split.

No comments: