Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Brownies

Man, what a week!  Monday was super busy at work and on top of that, my computer was shut down by a virus (kind thanks to the girl who downloaded all that crap on my computer before me).  By the end of the day, I realized I just really needed brownie, and really, we all did.  So I went home, whipped up a batch, and brought them to work the next day.  Good thing I did, because every day this week has been crazy and those little squares of decadent chocolate heaven really help a girl through the afternoon.  My apologies for not having a picture, but I got them finished right before bed time and have left them at work.  But I trust you all know what a brownie looks like: square, brown, crispy flaky top. 

Brownies
(original recipe here
  • 9 oz bittersweet chocolate (I didn't have enough so I used 6 oz bittersweet, 3 oz semi-sweet)
  • 1 cup butter, cut into chunks
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup flour

Preheat oven to 325F.  Line a baking dish with foil and grease generously.  

In a double boiler (or a heat safe bowl over a large pot) melt the chocolate and butter just until melted.  Don't let it go too long or it will separate and get funky.  whisk in the sugar.  It will be grainy and that is okay.  

Remove from the heat and whisk in eggs one at a time.  Whisk in vanilla extract.



Finally, whisk in flour and salt until just combined.   Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-22 minutes.  (Mine took 35 minutes, but I also used a smaller pan to get thicker brownies.)


Enjoy!

No comments: