Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sweet Potato Pancakes

Not too long ago, hubby and I discovered a local restaurant, called T-Coons, that has super delicious Cajun food.  On our first visit, we were lucky enough to arrive as they were still serving breakfast and I knew I had to have their sweet potato pancake the moment I spied it on the menu.  It was  one of the best breakfast items I have ever had; it was sweet and hearty and very fluffy, considering it had sweet potato.  It was the absolute perfect texture and amazingly delicious.  I've dreamed of it since and have considered trying to make it before.  This morning, I decided it was time. 


 I used my usual pancake recipe as a basis.  It took a couple practice pancakes and adding more ingredients until I got something I was satisfied with.   The recipe still needs some modification, but I think it's a darn good start!

Sweet Potato Pancakes
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1  cup sugar
  • 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (I'll probably puree this next time)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract


In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.


In a separate bowl, beat eggs into mashed sweet potatoes, then mix in the melted butter and vanilla.  Slowly whisk in the milk.


Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, whisking as you go.  The batter will be very thick. 


Heat a tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.   Spoon a third of a cup of batter into the skillet, then use a metal spoon to spread it out by slowly circling the back of the spoon on the surface of the batter.  


Cook for a few minutes until the surface of the pancake looks stiff and dull.  There will not be nearly as many air bubbles as there are with regular pancakes.   Flip, then cook an additional few minutes.  


Serve with Steen's Cane Syrup if you've got. 

No comments: