Saturday, March 27, 2010

March 2010 Daring Bakers' Challenge: Orange Tian

The 2010 March Daring Baker’s challenge was hosted by Jennifer of Chocolate Shavings. She chose Orange Tian as the challenge for this month, a dessert based on a recipe from Alain Ducasse’s Cooking School in Paris.



This challenge and I had a love/hate relationship.  My crust base and caramel did not behave, but I absolutely loved the marmalade and segmenting oranges.  I got lots of practice segmenting them too, because I had to do 8 oranges.  Sadly, while I really wanted to like this dessert, it just didn't happen. While I love eating citrus fruit, I've never liked them any way other than fresh.   BUT I did enjoy the complexity and various components of the dish; I can see some of  it coming to play in later cooking adventures.

2 comments:

Amy Lucille said...

I had the same love hate with this challenge, I found the caramel the hardest part... which just blew my mind.. caramel should be easy. Oh well like you said this was a good challenge that lends it hand nicely to future cooking and baking endeavors.

Mama Sarah said...

Yeah. I always feel bad when I don't absolutely love the challenge, but I've decided everyone can't like everything, so it's okay to be honest. Regarding the caramel, I think there was just too much liquid.