Sunday, January 27, 2008

Grandma's Peach Cobbler


It hasn't been the best of days..I've nursed a headache most of the day and have generally just been grumpy for various reasons. So, after the lack of proper ingredients last night, I went to the store so I could make some peach cobbler today.


The recipe is my grandma's, but honestly I don't really ever remember her making any.. it's always my mom who makes it. I was surprised by the simplicity of the recipe the first time I made it; the hard part is knowing when it has baked to your liking. Some people like it gooey (Grandma), while others like it nicely baked through (Mom and me).

This definitely isn't a low-cal, low-fat recipe, but if you're hankerin' for something sweet, delicious, and EASY give this a try. It won't disappoint.

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup white, granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 stick butter, melted
1 can peaches, mostly drained (if the peaches aren't drained, the cobbler will be runny)

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and milk.


Don't worry if the batter (?) is a bit lumpy - it's 100% okay. Melt the butter and pour it into a baking dish. I used a 9x9 for a thicker cobbler, but a 9x13 is fine...Experiment! Pour the batter into dish.


Okay.. so your arteries are clogging and your waist line is bulging at this sight, but I promise, a cobbler every now and then won't kill you. Next, plop the peaches into the batter.


Be careful when adding the peaches - you don't want them all concentrated in the middle, otherwise the batter won't fully bake in the center. You want a nice distribution of peachy goodness. It's now ready to bake! The recipe calls for 45 minutes, but my oven is psychotic and my baking times are always much less than estimated times. The edges will brown and the top should be golden. The center should look firm.. like the picture below.


The edges look a bit burnt, but I promise they aren't. I'm sorry my pictures are a bit bad, but I live in a tiny apartment with crappy lighting.

This is one of my favorite foods from my childhood. I hope you enjoy it.

2 comments:

Lyfling said...

Your pictures are beautiful and make me want to sneak into your house at night and eat everything . . .

*salivates*

Leta said...

http://becomingafoodie.blogspot.com/

I think you'll like this one.