Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Onion

YAY! My first post! Though I've always loved to cook and bake, constantly challenging myself in the kitchen, my love has escalated into an obsession. The many foodblogs have tantalized me, and so I have created my own. I hope you enjoy. I recommend checking out TasteSpotting and The Pioneer Woman which are two of my favorite spots right now. I'm also reading Alice Waters The Art of Simple Food.

Due to my frequent recipe viewing, I've spent the past week mentally planning dinners.. in class.. at work.. in bed at night.. Tonight, I decided to try out a couple of ideas.



The chicken was disappointing. I semi-braised the chicken breasts in a vegetable broth that had simmered with some onion, a few cloves of garlic, and a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary. The breasts were too thick, and I didn't add enough liquid, so the flavor was eh. Hubby enjoyed it more than I did.

I got the recipe for the baked onions from The Food Traveller.
They were very tasty and sweet. Hubby put his on the chicken, which might be why he enjoyed the chicken more than I did!
Just slice a couple of onions, place them on a baking sheet coated with olive oil, then sprinkle cheese and breadcrumbs atop the onions. I used a grated parmesan. Baked at 375 for 30-40 minutes - I didn't pay attention.. probably why I overcooked them a bit, but they still tasted wonderful.

The salad is my pride... I came up with the idea in bed the other night after seeing an image of a dandelion salad topped with caramelized shallots. That night, hubby had used some portobello mushrooms...EUREKA!
I started by slicing a sweet yellow onion very thinly. I sauteed them over medium heat in melted butter. While those were going, I scrapped the gills from the inside of the mushrooms, then brushed on a light coating of olive oil. After sprinkling them with salt and pepper, a broiled them for a few moments to warm them. Once they were finished, I placed a handful or two of mixed greens upon them - I wanted to use spinach, but hubby won't eat it.. Brat! Anyhoo, I then topped the greens with the nicely browned onions. Next time, I might first toss the greens in a very light vinaigrette, but I worry the taste might overwhelm the tasty balance between the greens, onions, and warm mushroom.

Well, that's it for tonight. Hope you enjoyed it! Look for much more in the future - minestrone and homemade ravioli before the week is finished.

No comments: