Thursday, January 24, 2008

Latkes

I apologize now for going a little crazy on the pictures... Tonight was one of those nights that I had a planned dinner, but upon arriving home was so hungry I couldn't bring myself to start the lengthy process of making shepherd's pie.. first you have to make mashed potatoes, then you have to bake it.. So basically, Hubby and I sat around for awhile groaning how hungry we were until he said he was going to make some eggs. (Hubby loves eggs, perhaps more than he loves me) IDEA! Mom got him a Japanese omelet pan, so I eagerly suggested/demanded omelets, while saying I'd make latkes. Again, I'd been running across a bunch of recipes for latkes, so I decided to try my hand at them. Voila: our meal! I loosely followed this recipe for the latkes..If you want to know what Hubby did for the eggs, well you'll have to ask him. Forgive me the ketchup; I'm lactose-intolerant and sour cream makes me unhappy.



Bobby's beautiful omelet a-baking.


Mmm omelet slices!


So, as previously established, my grater is tiny and I need a larger one. My shredded potatoes were tiny, and I think that caused them to hold moisture in. If I cook these again, I will definitely have to have larger shreds.


I used about half the recommended onion amounts - Hubby declared the green onions should have been left out entirely. I added a couple teaspoons of minced garlic, which wasn't enough at all. The garlic was undetectable. Also, I ended up adding a third egg, trying to get the potatoes to stick together better..


All mixed up before the additional egg.


Frying away. Hubby kind of took over this part of the cooking... flipping them and such. He also decided to experiment with the gouda left over from last night.. He placed a slice atop a cooked latke, and also rolled potatoes around a square of gouda, then fried it. He says it was "good".


Here are the finished latkes.


I felt they were a little bland. When I decided to make them, I was craving my mom's potato pancakes, but again didn't want to go through the process of making mashed potatoes first... To be worthwhile, these need a lot more salt and garlic. Hell, I might even add some Tony Chachere's seasoning (the staple of every Cajun kitchen).


And finally, here is my seahorse shaped Latke. He came from the first batch. Isn't he cute? He tasted like fried potato goodness too!


One last note: I've been eating the challah with honey drizzled over it. Delicious!

1 comment:

jenna said...

I see you've discovered the joy that is food blogging!