Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Applesauce Oat Bran Muffins

I like muffins. Unfortunately, muffins aren't always the healthiest things ever. But I figure bran muffins are at least a step up, right? So when I found this recipe, I thought it'd be great to try out. And I did. And they were.


Applesauce Oat Bran Muffins
  • 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup (2 oz) dates, pitted and chopped*
  • 1 cup wheat bran
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 3/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds **
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp old-fashioned oats

In a medium saucepan, cook applesauce and dates over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook mixture down to 1 1/4 cups, about 15-20 minutes. (I needed 25 minutes.) Remove from heat and let cool completely. (To speed up this process, I transferred the mixture to a large bowl and spread the applesauce up the sides of the bowl to thin it out so it can cool more quickly.)

Preheat oven to 375F. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.

Once the applesauce has cooled, transfer it to large bowl if you haven't already. Stir in bran, buttermilk, egg, honey, ginger, and vanilla. Let sit for 10 minutes.

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, flaxseed, baking soda, salt, allspice, and 1/4 cup oats. Stir into bran mixture.

Spoon the batter into prepared tins, filling them to the brim. Sprinkle oats over muffins.

Bake approximately 20 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool completely in pan on wire racks.

* Next time, I want to try another fruit instead of dates. I spied some dried strawberries at the grocery store, so I might try those. Or perhaps dried cherries, cranberries, or currants.

** I didn't have flaxseed (ground or otherwise) and without a future need for it, it was just too expensive to buy. Instead, I just substituted flour for the flaxseed to keep the consistency the same.

No comments: