Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Potage Parmentier, or Potato Onion Soup

After two decades of not really liking soup (other than baked potato and corn & crab bisque), I'm finally coming around. It all started with a little coffee shop's chicken tortilla soup. I was absolutely star struck. It was such a perfect blend of chunky chicken and vegetables with a smooth, slightly spiced tomato base... so good. Then I tried the same shop's chicken curry stew. Again, delicious soup! Lobster bisque, yessiree! Plenty of soups still disappoint me, but I'm willing to try them now. Most importantly, I'm willing to try to make them.

Does anyone not like potatoes? Is there really any better combination than potatoes and onions? Honest answers, guys and gals. I'm not sure there is a better food pair, so today I present you with Julia Child's Potage Parmentier (potato and onion soup). I found the recipe on this site, and it just looked so amazing that I had to try it.

This particular blogger added carrots to hers which gave it a nice orange hue and bulked hers up. I opted out of the carrots and got a rather thin soup, which was a bit sad. The flavor was amazing though.


Potage Parmentier
  • 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
  • 3 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 6 tbsp whipping cream
  • 1 tbsp softened butter
  • 2-3 tbsp minced herbs, for decoration (I used scallions I had for the scallion pancakes)

In a large pot or dutch oven, simmer the potatoes, onions, water, and salt partially covered for 40-50 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the onions are thoroughly cooked. (Mine still had a bit of a bite).

Mash or puree the veggies with a fork, masher, hand blender, etc. Don't puree too well; you want some character to the soup texture. When I reached this step of the process, I realized my potato to water ratio was not going to create a creamy delicious soup, so I pulled out about 2 cups of the water. Then I spooned ladlefuls of potatoes and onions into my stupid Bullet blender and pureed it in there, returning it to the pot afterwards.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. I found I didn't need to; the seasoning was perfect.

Before serving, remove from heat and stir in cream and butter. Serve decorated with herbs.

Again, my soup was really thin, which was unfortunate, though the flavor was really superb. I think I might actually use this as a base for a creamy vegetable soup.

3 comments:

shanna said...

Reading this made me want it all over again. Julia Child is brilliant.

Mama Sarah said...

Have you tried any additional veggies other than carrots? There are so many options!

meagan said...

I LOVE potato leek soup. It's my favorite. But I'm not a very good cook so mine always comes out looking like boogers. Tastes good though.

I love your blog. <3

Your word verification word is "shalla," which makes me want to sing, "sha la la la my oh my, look like the boy too shy, ain't gonna kiss de girl...


whoa whoa!"