Sunday, July 12, 2009

Homemade(ish) Root Beer

I've run into a tiny blogging complication; I won't have internet until Friday! We can pick up a few wireless signals, but never well enough for me to update. Sad times, right? I have been cooking a fair bit and trying some new stuff, so I'm starting to get a queue of things to post. Luckily, my awesome sister doesn't mind my hanging around her house.. though, the sugar cookies I'm baking for her probably sweeten the deal.


One of the great things about being back in South Louisiana is all the local stuff in all the grocery stores. Tons of rice, tons of seafood. As hubby and I were appreciating all the shrimp and crab boil, I noticed a tiny little bottle of root beer extract.


I knew that people did make root beer at home (hubby's grandmother did when he was young) but I had never actually seen the stuff in the store. Needless to say, we bought it.


The verdict? Homemade root beer is really easy and super tasty. You can modify the level of sweetness as well as whether it's carbonated or not. (I prefer it sweet and carbonated!) And more than just being cheaper than buying it, how cool is it to offer someone some homemade root beer?

1 comment:

jenna said...

awesome! let me know if you ever try birch beer or ginger beer...