Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Small-scale Seafood Boil

One of the great things about being back in Louisiana is that when hubby and I crave seafood, we can just hop in the car, drive to any grocery store or local market and have our pick of delicious, fresh seafood. Four years without fresh shrimp was devastating, so I feel the need to eat it all the time now that I can.


Now, there isn't any recipe to go along with this post; just a bit of food-worship. The kitchen is my cathedral after all. I suppose that makes southern Louisiana my parish? Which is apt, as southern Louisiana is a heavily Catholic area, so much so that instead of counties, we have parishes. But anyhoo. Seafood rules here, so much that instead of BBQs, we do seafood boils. Crawfish, shrimp, crab. Whatever seafood you want. And if you're boiling seafood, you HAVE to throw some potatoes, corn on the cob, and onions into the pot! It would be heresy not to.


Now, waking up with a craving for seafood and only having 3 people in the house, there's no reason to do a full scale boil outside with the turkey fryer/crawfish boilin' pot. You can do it on the stove top in a big pot. Well, a couple big pots. All you need is some Shrimp Boil and you're set. An easy, SCRUMPTIOUS meal in surprisingly little time.

And yes, there are scallops in that photo. No, we didn't boil them. I pan-seared them; they're hubby's favorite plus my dad loves them and the market nearby had rather large ones. We splurged. Such a tasty, tasty decision.

My yankee friends, please visit south Louisiana. Cajun country will not disappoint you. It's gorgeous, has amazing food, and the friendliest people you will ever meet! C'est bon, mes amis.

1 comment:

Lyfling said...

I cannot express how jealous and filled with saliva this makes me.