Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Smothered Okra

I love okra just about every way I've had it. The only style I don't appreciate is pickled okra, and that's because I don't do pickled. Blegh. But otherwise, I love the stuff! That being said, I recognize that others might not like it. It has a special consistency and texture that might put someone off, but I feel that if given a chance, the flavor of the okra overcomes any qualms over its consistency.

Smothered okra is most likely not the best way to win people over to Team Okra. It's a bit.. moist (some might say slimy, but I wouldn't). But it's such a stereotypical Cajun dish and I'm just diggin' all the food I've been missing, so I have to post it.


Smothered Okra
  • 1 lb okra, cut into 1/2 inch slices, or 1 pkg (1 lb) frozen cut okra
  • 4-5 medium tomatoes, chopped (you want a pretty even okra to tomato ratio)
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
In a large pot over medium heat, saute onions and bell pepper in butter. Once they are tender, add the okra and tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Chachere's. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the pan. Stir ocassionally, (frequently enough so nothing sticks to the bottom). Simmer for 30-40 minutes. Season to preference. Some like the dish salty; some like it with a cayenne kick. I choose the middle ground. It is such a delicious ground to tread.

You can serve this as a side to a variety of dishes. Its juices are delicious with rice.

No comments: