Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sugar Cookies




Mmm sugar cookies. Who doesn't love them? Really, they're sweet, soft, crisp rounds from the heavens. Today, neither my sister nor I had anything to do, so I thought we could do nothing together. She mentioned having a sweet tooth, and I, of course, decided I had to make her something. Thus the sugar cookies. I had to sift through some recipes to find one that didn't require cream of tartar, which my sister didn't happen to have; luckily, I came across this one. The recipe is quite simple (as sugar cookies should be) with a delicious result.

Sugar Cookies
  • 2 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • additional sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.

In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy (approximately 2 minutes). Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined. Add dry ingredients slowly, mixing well until thoroughly incorporated.

Sprinkle a small layer of sugar in the bottom of a plate. Roll approximately one tablespoon of dough into a ball, then pat onto the sugared plate. Flip, then pat more until the dough is about 1/3 inch thick and round. Place on baking sheet.

Bake approximately 10 minutes or until edges start to get golden.

Enjoy warm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gahhhhhhh. Miss you. Lots. And your cookies. :)

XOXO from IA <3

Mama Sarah said...

Miss you too!! I don't have many people to bake for down here!