Sunday, October 25, 2009

Slow Cooker Applesauce

Wow, so Wednesday just snuck right by me, for good reason. Firstly, I worked 8 days in a row, and some of those days were quite lengthy. Secondly (and more awesomely) I got a new job! Now, I know I just posted about becoming employed, but I received a second offer that was just too good to pass up. This is actually good news for the blog because I'll be moving from working til 7 pm (bad for cooking) to 5 pm (yay for cooking). Hopefully, I won't be missing anymore Tuesdays. 

On to the food. It's autumny good weather down here, and I'm loving these October days. Yesterday, I had the random desire to make applesauce, something about the aroma of apples, the meltingness that makes the sauce, the tart snap of apples mellowed by musky brown sugar. Mmmm. I'm also rather homesick for college, and one professor in particular who made tasty applesauce. So nostalgia meets seasonality. Here we go.





A few notes before we get started.  There are differing thoughts on whether you need to peel the apples first. Some feel it adds flavor and that it's fairly easy to pull out the peels. If you're cooking for someone who hates apple peel, they aren't going to like the few little pieces that remain behind. It's up to you. Also, this recipe makes a couple servings of applesauce. Definitely double or triple the recipe as you see fit.

Applesauce
  • 5 large apples,  cored, peeled, and quartered.
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
Place the apples in a slow cooker and cook over low for 5 hours.  Mix in the sugars and stir well. Add lemon juice or cinnamon if you'd like.  As you stir the apples, they'll break up and become the mushy awesomeness that is apple sauce.  Cook an additional hour or two.

No comments: